Join us on IRC: #infoanarchy on irc.oftc.net — channel blog
From iA wiki
See also: Audio-Video Software
Aka: iTMS iTunes Music Store.
Negatively, the included MP3 encoder is garbage:
- From Wikipedia: "There has been some criticism of the quality of Apple's MP3 encoder, at least with regards to variable bit rate encoding. In a January 2004 double-blind public listening test of six MP3 encoders encoding at 128 bit/s, conducted by Roberto Amorim, the iTunes MP3 VBR encoder came last: http://www.rjamorim.com/test/mp3-128/results.html"
Still, one of the best audio players for Windows and OS X, there are some problems:
- You can't simply drag-and-drop files into the interface and have it immediately play. Must be added to library first.
- In Windows, it installs two programs that begin at startup and take up memory regardless of whether iTunes is loaded.
- iTunes itself takes up more system memory and RAM than many other similar programs such as VLC, MPC, and Winamp.
- In Windows, if "CD Autorun" is not enabled, it will constantly complain.
- Anapod - recommended alternative for some of the annoyances of the iTunes + iPod.
- QuickTime Components - Add Ogg Vorbis play capability (just decompress and put in the iTunes folder). Freshmeat notice - (Hosted by SourceForge)
- HYMN - formerly Playfair, a project to remove DRM restrictions on iTunes-purchased songs.
- iTunes for Linux - Portable afaik.
- itms4all - proof of concept of the iTunes protocols written in Perl.
- tunesbrowser - a program able to play music over iTunes shares.
- Removing DRM from iTunes - VLC guide