- Burn All GIFs - Talks about LZW compression patents within GIF images.
- O'Reilly - Frequently speaks about patents.
- League for Programming Freedom - An organization that opposes software patents and user interface copyrights. See also The Unisys/CompuServe GIF Controversy
- Petition for a Software Patent Free Europe
- Boycott Amazon! - Amazon has obtained a US patent (5,960,411) on an important and obvious idea for E-commerce: an idea sometimes known as one-click purchasing. The idea is that your command in a web browser to buy a certain item can carry along information about your identity. (It works by sending the server a "cookie", a kind of ID code that your browser received previously from the same server.). Here is O'Reilly's take on it.
- FFII: Software Patents in Europe - For the last few years the European Patent Office (EPO) has, contrary to the letter and spirit of the existing law, granted more than 30000 patents on computer-implemented rules of organisation and calculation (programs for computers). Now Europe's patent movement is pressing to consolidate this practise by writing a new law. Europe's programmers and citizens are facing considerable risks. Here you find the basic documentation, starting from a short overview and the latest news.