Bring back infoAnarchy, the first site to report on the coming age of abundance. Revive infoanarchy.org blog & wiki - donate BTC to 1J66guL99svkrDzEerVhammM938niMUC5G
Getting Rid Of Spyware
From iA wiki
What is spyware?
- See: Spyware
Find and remove
- Spyware test - an excellent overview of some of the failures of anti-spyware programs and suggestions on how to proceed.
- Spyware Removal DIY Guide - Easy Step-by-Step Guide: How to remove and prevent Spyware to invade your computer
- Ad-Aware - An excellent tool to scan for and remove spyware. Very popular. (Free version available.)
- SpyBot Search & Destroy is similar, sometimes removing more than Ad-Aware. (Free)
- HijackThis - another tool that may filter out problems the above tools cannot by listing ALL registry entries (good and bad).
- XBlock - Multi-purpose privacy and anti-spyware tool that targets spyware dialers and keyloggers. Very popular
- RegBlock - Inconulation and scanning tool that removes spyware and keyloggers by making them incompatible with Windows operating system
- BlockfileFree Blocklist that uses Active X blocking with a simple to use registry file.
- An excellent review of current anti-spyware tools.
- BHODaemon Tool that shows what browser helper objects are installed in Internet Explorer and provides information about them. Free.
- Re-load your Operating System. This can take prohibitively long and will require you to re-install applications, settings etc.
- A hard drive backup such as Norton Ghost which will make a perfect copy of your computer for easy restoration or duplication.
First, only download rated software from 3rd party Web sites such as Jumbo.com, Hotfiles.com, or Pricelessware.org. These titles are checked for harmful/annoying extra programs or functionality. Vendor sites will often leave out the ugly details. SourceForge and Open Source programs rarely have included spyware.
Use an alternative browser instead of Internet Explorer until Microsoft fixes all the security holes that allows maliciously crafted websites to install software on your machine without your permission.
Beware of fake cleanup software that actally installs adware or spyware. Use the the trustworthy utilities listed above.
Block spyware sites at your firewall. That way even if you somehow get infected the spying activity results won't make it to the spyware authors. IP addresses lists related to spyware activities can be found on these sites : methlabs.org bluetack.co.uk Antispyware for pf.
- Spychecker - check if a program is spyware by looking it up here.
-  Maintains large database of malware and spyware with manual removal instructions
-  List of fake cleanup programs that install spyware/adware or give false results.
- Process Explorer - delete anything you can't account for (well, that's what I do, not necessarily recommended!)
- http://cexx.org/startup.htm -- stop Windows apps from autostarting when you boot.
- Intrusion Detection Systems
- Software Firewalls - Many firewalls are equipped to watch for unauthorized outbound connections, and aid in the detection of spyware.
- Slashdot - Ask Slashdot: Which Adware and Spyware are the Most Insidious?
- Spyware Infection Prevention Tips - Easy Follow Up DIY Guide: How to prevent Spyware and Adware to invade your computer
- Magoo's Guide to Eliminating Spyware - A good guide on how to get rid of spyware and keep if from coming back