Join us on IRC: #infoanarchy on irc.oftc.net — channel blog
Distributed computing projects
From iA wiki
(Redirected from Distributed Computing Projects)
- SETI@home - A very popular project that aims to find radio signals from extraterrestial intelligences. Users decode data packets from the Arecibo radio telescope in Puerto Rico.
- Folding@Home - Research on a wide variety of diseases by trying to solve a problem in biology: protein folding. From the home page: "What happens if proteins don't fold correctly? Diseases such as Alzheimer's disease, cystic fibrosis, Mad Cow disease, an inherited form of emphysema, and even many cancers are believed to result from protein misfolding." Results are not "owned" or profited from and are open to other researchers. Includes clients for many OS's including Linux, OS X and Windows and available in a visually interesting as well as a "bare-bones" client.
- distributed.net - Cryptographic cracking challenges. Open-source and available for very long list of Operating Systems. One of the first distributed computing tools.
- SuperDonate - Donate your unused computer time to earn money for your favorite charity. Help solve medical and scientific research projects.
- Folderol - An open-source investigation of data gathered in the Human Genome Project (protein folding).
- evolution@home - <i>"A framework for solving problems in evolutionary biology by simulating populations."</i>
- Compute against Cancer | United Devices Cancer Research - Here you can donate CPU time to cancer research, using Parabon's and United Devices' respective clients. Note: this project appears to be working on pathogens such as SARS, Smallpox, and Anthrax rather than cancer research.
- "The research centers on proteins that have been determined to be a possible target for cancer therapy. Through a process called "virtual screening", special analysis software will identify molecules that interact with these proteins, and will determine which of the molecular candidates has a high likelihood of being developed into a drug. The process is similar to finding the right key to open a special lock � by looking at millions upon millions of molecular keys."
- Drug Design and Optimization Lab A project similar to United Devices Cancer Research, focusing entirely on SARS, Smallpox, and Anthrax pathogens. Includes interactive 3D diagrams of molecules being tested (rotate, increase detail, zoom in/out).
- Genome@Home - <i>"The Human Genome Project is nearing completion, and scientists are working hard to develop the understanding needed to use this wealth of genetic information in ways that will be significant to medicine and humankind."</i>
- NCSA Data Synapse - An attempt to index the web with the help of thousands of computers.
- Fight AIDS @ Home - Donate CPU time to AIDS research, using Entropia technology. -- got the message <i>No more connections can be made to this remote computer at this time because there are already as many connections as the computer can accept.</i> Nov 2002.
- Electric Sheep - <i>"When the screen saver is activated, the screen goes black and an animated 'sheep' appears. Behind the scenes, the screen saver contacts an internet server and joins the parallel computation of new sheep. Every fifteen minutes 24/7 a new sheep is produced and distributed to all clients for display."</i>
- HMMER - <i>"If scientists can find out exactly which parts of DNA control eye functions, they may be able to help cure certain eye diseases." Powered by United Devices.</i> -- appears to redirect to a cancer-related project Nov 2002.
- Majestic-12 Distributed Search Engine project works towards creation of the largest WWW search engine index on the Internet.
- Mersenne Prime Search - Search for prime numbers (yay!). <i>Did you know that 2^(13,466,917)-1 is a prime number?</i>.
- Climate Prediction - Become part of a state-of-the-art climate prediction experiment
- Worldwide Lexicon - Network of multilingual dictionary and translation services.