Bring back infoAnarchy, the first site to report on the coming age of abundance. Revive infoanarchy.org blog & wiki - donate BTC to 1J66guL99svkrDzEerVhammM938niMUC5G
From iA wiki
Acronym: Digital Millennium Copyright Act
This law has harmed a variety of other research projects, including Cryptography as the DMCA forbids the attempt to disable copy protection systems. This has been a blow to a number of researchers looking for weaknesses in current encryption algorithms.
"The Digital Speech Project works to reclaim your rights trampled by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act and related technology control schemes."
Some important cases involving the DMCA
- The case against Russian citizen Dmitry Sklyarov when he created a tool that would disable Adobe's document protection (a form of cryptography).
- The case against 2600 which was distributing a program that would remove copy protection from DVDs, DeCSS. The system of cryptography was broken by a European teenager who discovered one of the keys used was not encrypted.
Covered in the following iA stories
Other DMCA Articles on iA
- Soulseek in (Temporary) Trouble
- Survey Finds Consumers Oppose Anti-Piracy Laws
- Jon Johansen Acquitted
- Elcomsoft Not Guilty of DMCA Violation
- eBook Programmer trial may rest
- "European DMCA" delayed
- The "Clean Flicks" Case - Defending Fair Use
- Scientology Attacks the Wayback Machine
- One Megabuck to Fight Bad Copyright Laws
- Verizon on Copyright and Cyber Liberties