- Google - the current king of search engines with excellent usability and accuracy in searching
- Ask - no logs!
- Exalead - supports regexp search!
- Gigablast - cool "gigabits", fast
- ODP - Open Directory Project - "over 3.8 million sites - 52,878 editors - over 460,000 categories"
- Direct Search - Gary Price's massive compilation of subject specific search engines that cover the invisible web: information on the web that is not visible to the major search engines.
- WebRing.com search
- AlltheWeb.com - a web site in direct competition with Google, using many of the same search techniques. "All the web, all the time."
- z9 Collaborative Navigation Engine
- TripleMe search.- TripleMe = Google + MSN + Yahoo
- Search Engine Colossus - International Directory of Search Engines
- Hotbot - combining four search engines together
- Beaucoup! - "the ultimate source of free information" - "2,000+ Search Engines, Indicies and Directories"
- Lesannuaires - More than 3000 french search engines and directories.
- Clusty Organises results by topic.
- The Internet Movie Database (IMDb)
- Enhanced CD and DVD Database
- Argus MusicSearcher - "Music Artist Information Search Center"
- The Internet Encyclopedia Of Philosophy
- AMG All Music Guide
- The Internet Archive - "The Internet Archive is building a digital library of Internet sites and other cultural artifacts in digital form. Like a paper library, we provide free access to researchers, historians, scholars, and the general public." - This includes the WayBack Machine. "The Wayback Machine makes it possible to surf more than 10 billion pages stored in the Internet Archive's web archive.". See main article Archive.Org.
Guides and tutorials
- The Spire Project - A comprehensive guide to information research on and off the net, maintained by David Novak. Includes the amazing 100+ page Information Research FAQ.
- Searchlores - as mentioned above
Libraries and journals
- UT Library Online - "General Libraries - The University of Texas at Austin"
- LibDex - "The Library Index - Index to 18,000 Libraries"
- Libweb - "Library Servers via WWW" - "Libweb currently lists over 6100 pages from libraries in over 100 countries."
- Library of Congress Online Catalogs - The United States of America's government project to catalogue all natively published works.
- NewJour - "This is the archive for NewJour, the Internet list for new journals and newsletters available on the Internet."
- Electronic Journal Miner
- NCSU Libraries Website Search - North Carolina State University
- ARTFL - "The Project for American and French Research on the Treasury of the French Language" - Texts, Bibliographies, Reference Works and Collaborations.
- Encyclopédie ou Dictionnaire raisonné des sciences, des arts et des métiers - ""The Encyclopédie ou Dictionnaire raisonné des sciences, des arts et des métiers, par une Société de Gens de lettres" was published under the direction of Diderot, with 17 volumes of text and 11 volumes of plates between 1751 and 1772. Containing 72,000 articles written by more than 140 contributors, the Encyclopédie was a massive reference work for the arts and sciences, as well as a machine de guerre which served to propagate the ideas of the French Enlightment. The impact of the Encyclopédie was enormous. Through its attempt to classify learning and to open all domains of human activity to its readers, the Encyclopédie gave expression to many of the most important intellectual and social developments of its time." -
- Scout Report Archives - "The Scout Report Archives is a searchable and browseable database to over seven years' worth of the Scout Report and subject-specific Scout Reports. It contains 13711 critical annotations of carefully selected Internet sites and mailing lists."
- Open Directory Project
- Yahoo Directory
- About.com - a listing of information on a variety of subjects developed by contributing members. Formerly "the mining company"
Dictionaries, thesaurases, phrases
- OneLook - OneLook is a meta-dictionary search that indexes over 800 online dictionaries.
- yourDictionary.com - The American Heritage(R) Dictionary of the English Language 4th Ed. - and also has some basic translation ability.
- ARTFL Project: 1913 Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary - "Simple Headword Search Script: 109,562 entries" - from the ARTFL project.
- Bartlett, Joyn, comp. 1919. Familiar Quotations, 10th edition - "Familiar Quotations - A Collection of Passages, Phrases, and Proverbs Traced to Their Sources in Ancient and Modern Literature" - "This tenth edition of 1919 contains over 11,000 searchable quotations and was the first new edition of John Bartlett's corpus to be published after his death in 1905--the new editor, however, choosing more to supplement than revise the work of the first name in quotations."
- The Encyclopedia Mythica - "An encyclopedia on mythology, folklore, and legend."
- AvatarSearch - "Search Engine of the Occult Internet!"
Real-world (people, places, things - yellow pages, statistics, etc)
- Yellow Pages Superhighway - "Search 14 million yellow page listings" - "Search over 300 Yellow Page Directories - National & Global
- How Far Is It - "This service uses data from the US Census and a supplementary list of cities around the world to find the latitude and longitude of two places, and then calculates the distance between them (as the crow flies). It also provides a map showing the two places, using the Xerox PARC Map Server." - by "as the crow flies", it means in a straight line, even though crows don't fly straight -- Sy