- Tim Berners-Lee - Semantic Web
- Ian Clarke - Freenet
- Justin Frankel - Gnutella, Shoutcast, Winamp
- Jessica Litman - Digital Copyright and Intellectual Property
- Richard Stallman - GNU and Free Software
- Linus Torvalds - Linux creator
- Charles Babbage - developed the idea of computational machines
- Douglas C. Engelbart - Inventor of graphical user interface, hypertext, and networked computers
- Ada Lovelace - worked with Babbage, and is considered the first programmer
- J. C. R. Licklider - Early computer and network advocate
- Benoit Mandelbrot is the pioneer of the science into chaos
- Claude Shannon - father of information theory
- Immanuel Kant - philosophy, ethics and science pioneer
- IBM - Standardization of the x86 platform, etc.
- Microsoft - MS-DOS | Windows - Because of a barebones business model where features were built based on demand, software of vastly greater user-functionality than previous peers became more commonly seen.