The concept of a Good Thing is something which is "fundamentally and obviously Right": Something is good if it is useful. A good thing can be utilised to help create a sense of well-being and satisfaction. A good thing makes individuals and the community better off.
- Returning a lost wallet is a Good Thing.
- Helping an old lady across the street is a Good Thing.
- Being polite to strangers is a Good Thing.
Often, "Good Thing" refers to a strong or common opinion on something more than to a there being no logical "Good" alternative.
- Spell-Checking is a Good Thing.
- Vegetarianism and Veganism are Good Things.
- Banning leeches is a Good Thing.
Also, at times a "Good Thing" may be a Dangerous topic:
- Joining the military to fight for your country is a Good Thing.
- Fighting terrorism is a Good Thing.
- Denying such service because of personal beliefs is a Good Thing.