See also: nym
Acronym: Abbreviation by CROpping Names that Yields Meaning
From Acronym Server:
An acronym is a label formed from the beginnings of words (Greek: acro [head] and nym [word]) -- or very rarely, from letters in the middle of words. There is no requirement that an acronym be pronounceable as a normal word (this is a curious myth perpetuated by American dictionaries): IBM is just as much an acronym as LASER.
See what links here for a list of acronym definitions in this wiki.
- All Acronyms - large collection of acronyms sorted by categories and alpha
- GNU Virtual Entity of Relevant Acronyms: http://freshmeat.net/projects/gnuv.e.r.a.
- E-mail and Online Chat Acronyms http://www.sharpened.net/glossary/acronyms.php
- Acronym Server: http://www.ucc.ie/cgi-bin/acronym
- Acronym Finder: http://www.AcronymFinder.com/